We are now near the end of our second week of lock down and if it has achieved the goal of flattening the curve of COVID-19 cases we have all done our bit by conscientiously self-isolating. The end is not in sight yet so keep apart to keep everyone safe.
KEEPING THOSE WHO CARE IN THE LOOP
OCE News updates are all on our website at https://www.ocestate.co.nz/news/. Please copy and send this link to family and friends as they are probably keen to know how you are faring.
LOBBY AND MAILROOM: Remember the protocol to keep safe
One of our wonderful cleaners, Nicky, reported that there were too many people in the mailroom at one time. She quite rightly felt it was not safe for them or for her.
NB: the mailroom will be closed for sanitisation from 11am-12pm on Mon, Wed and Fri.
Nicky will bring a fold out sign to put up at the entrance to the centre to let you know cleaning is in progress and block off the mailroom while she is cleaning it.
LOBBY FOR YOUR LOBBY FRIDGES!
If there is anything, within reason, you would like in our lobby fridges, let Kevin know and we will do our best to get it. Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs? Wait and see!
FLU INJECTIONS ON SITE – Monday 20 April – PLEASE REGISTER
We have organised Steel Shin from Unichem Metro Bethlehem Pharmacy to provide flu injections for those who need one, on site at OCE Monday 20 April between 9am and 12noon. We need names by this Friday 10 April so we can organise times, please let Kevin or one of the team know. There is no cost.
EXERCISE TO EASE ARTHRITIS
Liz Eaton, one of our residents, recommends this programme click here to view, and says, “Very good, reviewed by Nance Gall and myself. It lasts about 20 minutes and also covers strength and balance.”
MORE $ IN ANNUAL ADJUSTMENTS
NZ Super and Veteran’s Pension payments are adjusted each year to reflect increases in the cost of living, inflation and the average wage.
From 1 April payments increased to:
• $744.54 each before tax or $ $652.04 each after ‘M’ tax for a married couple who both qualify
• $981.46 before tax or $847.66 after ‘M’ tax for a single person living alone
• $902.58 before tax or $782.44 after ‘M’ tax for a single person sharing accommodation
The first full payment at the new rate will be on Tuesday April 14.
For a full summary of the new rates go to www.workandincome.govt.nz and search for ‘benefit rates 2020’
BIRTHDAYS AND HAPPY HOURS
Kevin, complete with guitar, and the gardening team have been visiting birthday people for a quick distanced serenade celebration. There have been three birthdays in the last few days:
• Barbara Olds who is involved with welfare within the village and has returned to the committee this year.
• Barbara Cambie who is an outdoor girl; she and her husband ride e-bikes, enjoy their garden and their camper van adventures.
• Graham France, who turned the grand age of 91 on Sunday, is so tall he had his bed designed and made in Chile! Graham has been in the village since July and is our resident-management liaison.
Coming up this week:
• Mavis Rosenberg (Tues) who manages the very popular library with her husband Roy.
• Lorraine Taylor (Tues) who is known for her card playing prowess.
• Barbara Fickling (Wed) whose smiling face is often seen around the village as she rides her scooter to check the mail.
Neighbours and local friends might like to call out their good wishes. There have been rumours of social happy hours at a distance. Good on you, though we might send Kevin round with a tape measure! Keep your two metres!